Thursday, December 10, 2009

Sneaky little stretch mark...

Well, I have one. A stretch mark, that is. It is tiny and isn't the bright red that I expected. Actually it looks more like a shadow and more than once when trying to find it, it's taken me a minute to see it, so it's not too bad. But it's there. I know it's there and surprisingly I am not too upset about it. I knew this was very likely to happen. I don't know anyone who had twins and walked away completely stretch mark free. But still....it would have been nice to have been that person :-)

I am 27 weeks and 2 days today. Woo hoo! I had my ultrasound this morning and then my regular Dr. appt this afternoon. The girls are looking great. I have one picture of Righty, and I will try to post that this weekend. Sadly I only have a picture of Lefty's foot. You see Lefty wasn't really cooperative and when it appeared she would be cooperative Righty stole the spotlight by planting her big ol noggin in the way. Quite frankly, the ultrasound at this point is a little of a let down. The girls are so big that it's not cute profile pictures that appear on the screen. Instead, there are arms and legs, half a nose, somebody's eye with a foot blocking the rest of the face, etc. It's kind of humorous, but not really the "great" view that I thought we would get.

OK, so let's do stats on these bambinos...Lefty is definitely Baby A. She will be the first to be delivered because she has moved down a little bit. I'm not sure if this is a good thing because her head appears quite a bit larger than Righty's. The ultrasound lady said it was good because delivering Righty will be a breeze. Anywho, Lefty measures at 28 weeks and weighs 2 lbs 8 oz. Awesome! Her heart rate was 147 and her heart, bladder, kidneys, etc all are exactly on target.

Righty is doing really well also. She measures in at 27 weeks 5 days and weighs 2 lbs 7 oz. Her heart rate was 153. She is a little smaller but both babies are measuring so great that it doesn't matter that she's a tiny bit smaller than her sister.

At my appt. I was able to ask a bunch of questions which (lucky for you) you will all get to know the answers to.
- My hands are tingly and fall asleep at night when I'm in bed. This apparently is carpal tunnel. Very common amongst us pregos and if it is bothersome, I can be prescribed a wrist splint to wear. I opted not to do that right now because it's not too bothersome, but reserve the right to change my mind.

- Heart Burn and what is now also reflux. Looks like Zantax (sp?) will be my new best friend. Safe to take and does a much better job than tums.

- Round Ligament pain. Too bad, so sad for me. This is a grin and bear it type of thing.

- How long can I work? As long as I feel up to it, or if I have complications, we will have to revisit this topic.

- There are no sidewalks and my office bldg is in the middle of campus. If the weather turns bad and the roads icy can I get a disability permit. You betcha! I can get one whenever I want.

Other things I learned at my appt: I was given the orangey sugar drink and will need to do my glucose test sometime next week. I will also need to get my 2nd RH shot next week. (this is because my first one was so early that I need another one). I will now start going to appts every 2 weeks, but because the babies and I are so awesome the ultrasounds will still be every month unless I encounter complications. The week after Christmas I will start my NST (non stress tests). These are twice a week for 20 - 40 minutes each time. This seems kind of excessive, but better safe than sorry I say.

Let's see, what else? Oh yes...I almost forgot this little nugget...my uterus is freakin huge! That's right people, huge! I am measuring at 34 to 35 weeks. Um, k. That's kind of a lot I think. My dr. assures me that is normal for pregos with twins, but it kind of caused me a little stress because if my body thinks that I am 34 weeks pregnant does that mean it will try to go in to labor early? Scary? Yes.

On a good note, I am on the low end of weight gain - in the range, but the low end none-the-less. It's the small things that make me happy :-)

All in all, still pretty uneventful. I am supposed to be on watch for any kind of contractions. I've had a few Braxton Hicks here and there, but now is the time where these things could be a serious problem. I feel like we're starting to get into the thick of things. I was also told that I can kiss my March 9th due date bye bye. They don't let twin pregos go to 40 weeks, so if it looks like I will make it, they will schedule me to be induced at 38 weeks. That's right around February 24th. So, I now consider that my due date goal. Gotta make it to Feb. 24th!

My next appt is on December 23rd. Then we are headed to Boise for Christmas - yay! I will update next week when I will officially be in my 3rd trimester - WOW! And I will also have the details from my glucose test - riveting, I know. Here's hoping this pregnancy continues to sail along and these babies grow, grow, grow.

Till next time.....

3 comments:

Domrese Family Blog said...

Lots of things for you on this post? Don't want to hear it? Let me know...I'll stop commenting! I love seeing your blog and reliving these moments!

Stretch marks--- Love them. Trust me. They suck. They are going to come. Invite them in. The only mom's of twins that I know that did not get stretch marks delivered their babies undesirably early. Those stretch marks are a sign you are making it! Sorry mama!

You want big baby first. Even if it's a small difference, big baby clears way for smaller baby. Looks like you are doing great! Great sizes!!!!

The NST's are better than I thought they'd be. I thought they were excessive too but they became something of a comfort. You just lie back in a chair and watch, bring a book if you want. It's just nice to have that info, especially further on.

Measuring wise? You're doing great! Go girl!!!!! I measured 9 weeks ahead. The boys were born at 35 weeks and I measured 44 weeks. You can do it! Grow belly grow!!

Jennifer said...

Thank you so much for your comments! I love them :-) I often refer back to your old blog to see what I have "coming up". So keep the comments coming, they are more than welcome.

Nicole said...

Thank you for reviewing all your questions and answers. Now I know for when/if I have the same ones.

38 weeks?! Now that's a lofty goal! I'm proud of you for wanting to make it that long...I hope you do it and that each girl is BIG (not so big that they cause you to have to have a c-section) but BIG, healthy girls! I'm shooting for you to deliver on Feb 22. It's a great day. :)