Sunday, November 30, 2008

First appointment

I had my first appointment yesterday, so Bobby and I made the trek up to Spokane. We left around 4:30am. We had to take Connor down the street to the in-laws and he was not happy to be left there so early in the morning.

Ok, so I might need to back up and explain this whole appointment thing. When you first sign up for IVF, you get this master calendar that explains when/time to give shots and all of the days that you tentatively have appointments. All appointments are at 7 am in Spokane. Every appointment is either blood draw and ultrasound or just blood draw. And, by the way, the ultrasounds are not the fun..."oooh that's cold on my tummy" ultrasounds. No, these are internal - and very uncomfortable. At least this round I can wear socks. Last time it was during the summer, so I was always concerned about whether or not my toenails were painted. Ahhhhh, I digress.

Anyway, so yesterday was my first appt. I had a blood draw (or as they like to call it "labs") and ultrasound. Normally when I get to the office, there about 20 other people waiting, so I was very surprised when I arrived and there was only one other person and she was just getting her blood drawn. I was the only ultrasound. It was really weird, but they told me it's because they are really trying to stretch me out this time, so I am basically the first one to start the series and will be the last one to finish.

The appointment only took about 5 minutes - they are very fast, and tend to move people through like cattle. When you leave, they tell you they will call later with instructions. So, off Bobby and I go to get breakfast and do some Christmas shopping. We were going to see a Broadway show that evening, so we decided to stay in Spokane overnight. The show ended up getting cancelled, but that's another story for another day.

-K, so back to waiting for the phone call. I finally get the call from my nurse, Karen, at around 11am. (When you sign up for IVF, you are assigned a nurse who basically becomes your lifeline to the clinic and the entire process. I got Karen, and I'm glad I did because she is absolutely wonderful.) She instructed me to drop my Lupron down from 20 units to 5 units. To add 75 of Follistum (last time I had 250, so 75 sounds better) and to add an entire vial of Menopur. I am told to give these injections at 7pm.

I got everything ready that evening and gave myself the three shots. I have to be honest, the Menopur stung quite a bit. I think I need to mix it earlier and let it sit for awhile. Now I have about 10 to 14 more days of these 3 shots. Hopefully they will help. Last time, my eggs didn't come out mature, so we are hoping this regimine and stretching it out longer will do the trick. I don't know if it's the anticipation, the massive change in hormones, or just the getting up early and driving several hours...but I am really tired this time around. I took a nap yesterday and feel like I should take a nap right now. And if you know me at all, you know that I am not a nap person.

I have included some pics of my new nightly routine of shots. And also some pictures of what I like to call my "tub-o-fun" which holds all my meds.

Stay tuned for more riveting info from the IVF world :-)


Mikey said...

The struggle for a baby. My mother had 14 miscarriages before she decided to adopt. So much pain and struggle associated with attempting to have a baby, but eventually it lead to my sister and I. I hope that all goes well for you Jen. Was it this hard for you to have your first baby?

Jen said...

Thanks for your comment. Actually our first child was adopted - so going through IVF is all new to us.

Nicole said...

The needle on the one shot is HUGE! I'm starting to freak out a little bit.

Mikey said...

I'm 21, a male, and have no idea what emotions and things of the sort you must be dealing with, but I do know this. If you make Christ center of creating your second child, you will not go wrong, no matter what the outcome.