Saturday, January 30, 2010

A week of big changes

This past week has been a doozie! And when I say doozie, I mean it in every sense of the word.

Home rest had been going pretty well. I did all I could to ensure I was taking it easy, sitting and laying down and just generally resting. My first NST of the week, on Monday, went fine. The girls looked good and my bp was high but not as high as it had been.

I went to my appointment with my Doc on Wed. This too went pretty well. She said my bp was still high but my protein levels went down a bit so I wasn't quite pre-e, which was good. She wanted me to do a 24 hour urine test and to also get a blood pressure cuff for home so I could monitor my blood pressure while resting. I said no problem.

Thursday morning I was supposed to have my ultrasound but the tech was sick and it was rescheduled for Friday. So I waited around my house all day and in the afternoon, I went in for my NST. Had I know that would be the last time I would be at my house for awhile, I would have picked up, finished packing my hospital bag, or at least given a good attempt at shaving my legs. But I can't predict the future, so instead, I threw on some clothes, combed my air-dried and "not very cute at the moment hair", and headed into Moscow.

When I got to the hospital, I gave them my urine from the past 24 hours - ewwww, and I got hooked up for my NST. The NST went great, and while I was waiting to be released someone from the lab came in to draw my blood. I told the nurse I was ready to go after that and she informed me that I had to wait for my doc to come and talk to me after they got the test results. So I waited, and waited. Bobby came in and kept me company and then the Doc came in and told me the test results came back unfavorable, my liver enzymes were very high and that was concerning. They wanted me to stay the night for monitoring and another urine test, this time a 12 hour test and then we would talk about whether or not I needed to be transferred to Spokane...scary!

So I stayed the night at G.ritman. My first time ever to stay the night in a hospital. I was crabby and I didn't like it. They gave me an Ambi.en to help me sleep. Thank Goodness. The next morning, Bobby met me back at the hospital and we awaited the results. My doc came in and told us that she had talked to the Docs in Spokane and they agreed that it would be best if I were transferred to Spokane. Bobby went home to pack some bags and his mom hung out with me at the hospital while I awaited transfer. Bobby came back just before they were loading me into the Me.d S.tar ambulance and he told me he would follow right behind us. So off we went to Spokane, where I am currently residing.

When I first got here it looked like I would just be on bed rest until I reached 36 weeks and then they would send me back down to Moscow. Unfortunately that good news didn't last long. After doing a bunch of tests of their own, the Dr.'s here are "worried" about me and now it appears we will most likely induce in the next couple of days. There is a big long story about why, but basically, although I feel completely fine, it appears I am getting sicker (liver enzymes, high bp, possible pre-e, etc.). So they are monitoring me here, doing tons of tests, and just trying to hold me out for another day or two to give these babes a couple more days in utero. Is this scary? Yeah, a little. But I did the best I could, and these babies are still's just me that is having issues.

Speaking of the babies...I finally did get an ultrasound today - yay! And these babes look so great. While the measurements could have a margin of error of up to 20%, I thought I would share the most recent info we have on them. Lefty weighs in at 5 lbs and 14 oz and Righty weighs in at a whopping 7 lbs 4 oz. That's right, one of my babies is a giant :-) These numbers are great! The fluid levels are great, they are both head down, everything is really good as far as they are concerned. Oh, and Lefty looks like she has a little bit of hair. The tech asked Bobby how tall he was because both girls look like they have long legs. Guess they might have gotten his genes in that area.

I am getting excited to meet these little ones, but I hope my body will stay healthy enough to at least get them to 35 weeks and a couple of days. Even if they induce tomorrow or the next day, it could take a day or 2 for me to actually go into labor, so we're a couple days away at least. Of course there is always the possibility of having to have an emergency c-section, but I am trying to use the power of positive thinking to help ensure that won't happen.

I'm sorry that this isn't a humorous blog and I'm sorry if it was more of a rambling than giving good information about what is going on. I'm exhausted from all the goings on the past couple days, and wish we knew more concretely what was going to happen (I'm a planner as you all know). But I am trying my best to roll with the punches and just praying that if we deliver early my girls won't have to have NICU time. I'll update again when I know more and when I have more energy.

Till then.....


Nicole said...

Great to see you today...and can't believe you're still smiling after all you've been through! You're in inspiration to me! What a strong lady you are. Keep up the good work. I have faith that 35 weeks is definitely possible! Maybe you'll blow them out of the water and make it to 36 weeks, just to spite them all. Haha

Jaipur Fertility Center - Best IVF Center in India said...

A woman’s age is the most important factor affecting the chance of pregnancy success. Female fertility starts to decline when a woman is in her 30s onwards and declines rapidly once the woman is over 40. When looking at success rates ensure these have been broken into age bands. The IVF success rate of a 40 year old cannot be compared with that of a 30 year old.