Friday, February 26, 2010


Ok, where was I? Oh yes, my c-section...

So, there I was, being bombarded with people talking to me. They were explaining the epidural and how it would work. I explained that I was really freaked out because it kept wearing off and I was worried that would happen during the section. They kept reassuring me, but it didn't help. One of my favorite nurses (the one with the ice packs) came in, I started crying and she asked if I was ok. I told her I was freaking out, and she asked what I was freaking out about. I listed all my worries and like an angel, we talked about each one until I had finally calmed down. Seriously, she has to be one of the best nurses ever.

I also had about 5 people all around me, moving the ice packs, unhooking me to monitors, re-hooking me up to things, etc. They threw some scrubs at Bobby and he quickly changed. It all happened so fast, it's kind of a blur.

They sent Bobby to a waiting room and wheeled me into the Baby delivery OR. I was now shaking uncontrollably at this point, partially due to the fever, partially due to labor, and mostly due to fear I suspect. The OR was rather chaotic. People were hustling around, I was moved to a table, they strapped my feet down, and showed me where I could rest my arms. They put oxygen in my nose and started testing whether or not my epidural was sufficient. I told them my right side was completely numb, but that I could feel their little scratch test on my left. They said they were adjusting. I just kept asking where Bobby was...things seemed to be moving so fast and it was becoming very apparent that what I thought was just a run of the mill c-section was more of an emergency c-section. Where the hell was Bobby!?!

They finally let Bobby in. I was so happy to see him. He sat by my head, and the Doc started the section. Remember when I said I had a little feeling left on my left side and they said they were adjusting it. Well, they never rechecked and left side wasn't completely numb. It felt like this stinging, burning sensation that hurt like a mo-fo. My right side? Nothing, just a little pressure and tugging. My left side, son-of-a-%&*@#!

I told them what I was feeling and they said they were trying to fix it, but it would take time and I could either grin and bear it or they could knock me out. If they knocked me out, Bobby would have had to leave the room, so I chose the grin and bear it option - only I didn't really grin so much as I complained about the pain pretty much the entire time.

Emma was born at 8:24pm. It was the weirdest feeling. It was a lot of tugging, then relief. Like I had this bowling ball lifted off my I hadn't taken a real breath in 9 months, and suddenly my lungs were full of air - it's hard to describe, but it was certainly a welcome feeling. They showed the baby to us and took over to clean her up. Briar was born 2 minutes later at 8:26pm. Same feelings, only this time when they were done, I felt a little empty. Relieved still, but empty - my pregnancy was officially over.

Bobby went over to the babies and brought them over to show me. By now, because the babies were out of me, they were able to give me some pretty heavy narcotics, so I was officially out of it. I vaguely remember seeing my girls - I wish that moment had been different. Bobby and the girls left and the Doc started stitching me up. Whatever they gave me to knock me out made me violently ill and the rest of my time in the OR was spent vomiting anything I had eaten for the last 10 years. I was told they'd never seen someone throw up so much in the OR - do I get a special award for that? I also lost quite a bit of blood and had to be given a medication to slow the bleeding. To put it mildly, I was a shit show. Things did not go smoothly -but in the end, all that matters is that my girls were born healthy.

From this point on, it was all a blur. Little bits and pieces of time are all I can recollect during the 3 or 4 hours I was in recovery. Bobby coming in and being so excited about our girls. Nurses attending to me. Pain, then no pain. Blur.

I was finally wheeled to my room. They put us back in the Ante-partum unit, because I was being started on magnesium sulfate (to stop any seizure that my pre-e might cause) and the nurses in this unit were better at attending to "high risk" patients. I was also on a saline drip, pitocin, and some pretty nice happy drugs - I think I had a total of 5 IV's plugged into my port.

I visited with my mom and Bobby's mom. I got to see my babies - Finally! And I attempted to nurse. It was a very busy night. The magnesium sulfate wasn't as bad as everyone says. I never felt sick, just really dry mouthed. Like desert dry. Like cotton mouth, sand paper, someone give me a freakin drink of water dry. Yuck! The mag was to be administered for 24 hours. I was given ice chips to eat in moderation and a wet wash cloth to suck on. This was a very long night. I had a little pain, was thirsty and was trying to absorb all that had happened in the past couple of days.

The next day, I was feeling better - still super thirsty. Since I was doing so well, they allowed me some orange slices (I misunderstood and ate the whole orange - oops), a Popsicle and things like that. I probably would have paid a million dollars for a Popsicle at that point, and actually cried when I ate it because it was such a relief. I nursed as best I could all day. The lactation consultant came in and gave me some tips. I tried tandem feeding for the first time. It was ok, but not something I felt I could do on a regular basis by myself. I could tell I was on the mend, and kept pestering my doc to tell me how long I would be the hospital - I had been there 20 days and was ready to be home. They said they would keep me for about 4 days and then release me.

Oh, and the girls. My beautiful girls! They were born so healthy, they didn't even have to go to the NICU to be evaluated. I had done it. I made it to 37 weeks. I helped to ensure my girls would be born healthy. I avoided the scary NICU. I felt so proud of myself...I didn't give birth how I planned, but all that didn't seem to matter. My little family of 3 was now I family of 5. A healthy family of 5. Awesome!

Better get going. Next on my blog...I thought I was on the road to being healthier, but of course this is me we are talking about so there was inevitably another bump in the road that threatened our release from the hospital. Also, we found out that Briar might have a health issue....

No comments: