Friday, February 12, 2010

A little glimpse into my life at the hospital

First of all, I would like to apologize for some of my past posts. I went back and read some and the spelling and grammer is horrible! I really have no excuse other than laziness....Blogger has a spellcheck - but I guess sometimes I skip that step. So, sorry if you're happily reading along and notice that I make a blunder.

I've been asked by many people what it is like being on bedrest at the hospital. You know, things like what is your room like, what is your schedule like, etc.

So I thought I would address those questions today :-)

My room is pretty nice - it's located in the Antepartum area of the hospital, so all my neighbors are pretty much in the same boat I am, except most of them have come and gone already...and I still sit here and wait. If you've ever seen a labor and delivery room at a hospital, it is similar to that. Pretty roomy, I have a desk, a daybed, a large bathroom with a jetted tub, a tv with a vhs/dvd player and wireless Internet. My view is of downtown Spokane and ironically you can see you my IVF dr.'s office from here. Everything is brought to me (because most women can't leave their beds at all), so my admission forms, the nutritionist, the finance person, labs, etc. all come to my room.

My schedule pretty much looks like this:
6am: Dr. comes in for morning rounds to check in and make sure nothing has changed with me
6:30am: I get weighed
7am: If it is a Tuesday or a Friday, I get blood drawn
7:30am: My daytime nurse checks in with me and give me a pro.tonix for any reflux I may be
8am: Breakfast is served
8:30am: The babies and myself are put on the monitors for one hour - I used to like this time,
but now it just kills my back and feels a little bit like torture.
9:30am: Done with monitoring - woo hoo! I take a shower and pretty much take my sweet ass
time getting ready, because I don't really have much else to do.
10:30 - noon: I sometimes go for a walk, do laundry, refill my ice water, play on the
internet...any number of mindless activities....
Noon: Lunch time
1:30 or so: I tend to take a nap. You wouldn't think that sitting around would be tiring, but
regardless of what I am doing, these babies are still growing and that's hard work!
3:30: Sometimes I have visitors, sometimes I go for a walk, I talk to the nurses, read, etc.
5:00 - Dinner
6:00 - 8:30 - sheer boredom! Sometimes I catch up on phone calls during this time which helps
with the boredom. Sometime around 8:30, my dr. comes in to check on me.
8:30 - 9:30: Monitored and normally I am assessed by my night nurse.
10:30: I take my Am.bien and drift off to sleep...

Riveting stuff huh?

So there ya go. I'm on day 14 here (15 days total if you count the night I spent at Gri.tman). Only 5 days till induction...the countdown is on. And I think I can finally, finally say that I am ready to have these babies. If I were home and enjoying the end of this pregnancy, it would be another story. But this sitting and waiting is awful (not to mention uncomfortable), and at this point I am just ready to be done. Betcha never thought you'd hear me say that :-)

No comments: