Monday, March 9, 2009

Transfer tomorrow!

Well, we are set for transfer tomorrow. They have several retrievals but only 2 transfers, so they told us to be there, ready to go at 9am for a 9:30 transfer. Woo hoo! I can't believe the day is finally here - I think it's safe to say I definitely have my hopes and I am feeling really good about this transfer.

Today's appointment went fine and I am to continue on everything until tomorrow. I have to take my 32 ounces of water in the car with me, so I can start drinking when my nurse calls. (in case you haven't been tuning in, or have forgotten, the water is so that your bladder gets full enough that it pushes your uterus down into the optimal position)

When talking to my nurse she didn't indicate that anything would be standing in our way, so let's hope to high heaven that nothing comes up between now and tomorrow morning.

They will start to thaw the embryos in the morning. They thaw one straw at a time (there could be several in a straw) and evaluate how the embryos look and then determine if they should thaw more. The dr. will report to us how many they thawed and what their "grades" are. The grades are sort of like diamonds, some are better than other based on clarity, depth, etc. Did I just compare my embryos to diamonds? Um, k that was a weird analogy, but's pretty accurate.

My nurse asked us what our preference is for how many to put back. This is just a preference and doesn't mean that is the number that they will put back. I told her our preference was 2 (since one or two is what they will put back about 98% of the time) but told her if the dr. thought that 3 would be better - because of all the polyps, blood clots, scar tissue and God knows what else is growing in my uterus taking up good quality real estate, that we would be open to transferring 3.

Now, don't freak out on me thinking I've gone all Octumom on you. I just want our best odds and we were told after our last transfer that because of all of our issues, 3 might be our only chance at conceiving 1. So it's all a numbers game, and I'm just trying to find the best odds without having to give birth to a litter. We decided that we would defer to the dr. and let him make the call.

I'm going radio silent tomorrow, but will be back with the post-transfer blog on Wednesday. That is assuming nothing gets in the way of this transfer, in which case I will be ranting and raving via blog tomorrow :-)

Thanks for all of the positive thoughts and good wishes. I feel blessed to have the support of such wonderful people and hope that this time I will get to share some good news.

No comments: