Saturday, May 30, 2009

You want to look at my tongue?

So today was my first acupuncture appointment, and it was actually pretty interesting. My Acupuncturist (is that what they are called?) was a super nice women who really put me at ease. She took me back to the exam room, which actually resembled a massage room at a spa - very nice. Then she had me sit and asked me to stick out my tongue. Ok, that's a little weird.

I guess the tongue says a lot about you. The shape, color, and texture can be very telling. She didn't tell me what my tongue said to her, and I was so intrigued by the question that I think I forgot to ask. Then we talked...a lot. I answered a ton of questions - mostly about my cycle, failed attempts, etc. Then it was time for the needles.

I layed down on the massage table and she lifted my shirt to expose my lower belly area. Then she put this heat lamp over the same area. It felt good and warm :-) Then she started pushing on different areas of my arms and legs asking me which areas felt sensitive to her pushing. When I indicated an area, she put a needle in. There were several on my feet, some on on my ankles, by my knees, one in my abdomen, a couple in my wrists/arms, shoulders, ears and one in my forehead. Then she left me there. I took a little nap, the heat lamp induced it I'm sure, and before I knew it she came back to check, turn the needles a bit, take my pulse (she checked my pulse a lot) and then left me alone for another 10 minutes. All in all I think I was in there with the needles in for about 40 or 45 minutes. Then she came back in and took the needles out.

She did have some instructions for me. I am supposed to soak my feet (from just below my shin, down) in warm water for 10 minutes every night. I should put a hot water bottle over my lower abdomen for about 1 hour 3 times a week. I have to cut out all dairy because I am getting too much animal protein from dairy and I am supposed to scale back other animal protein. So that's what I'm going to do. It's worth a try right? I will visit with her once a week up until retrieval and then I think I'll go twice before transfer and once after, but we'll play that by ear.

All in all, I have to say I think I like acupuncture. I left there feeling relaxed - like I had just had a massage. And I think I have tried everything else under the sun...maybe this is something that will help me in the IVF process.

No comments: